Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Thanks to all of our Volunteers

In my position as 1st VP this past year, I have seen firsthand the myriad things our many volunteers do for STC Atlanta. I knew we had some enthusiastic volunteers, but I really didn't know how great they were until I was in this position. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of them for their hard work and wonderful attitudes. It makes serving as a chapter officer very fulfilling.

I would especially like to thank Holly Harkness for all she did this year to prepare me for my role as chapter president. I'm not sure how other presidents treated their 1st VP, but Holly was great about sharing and showing me what was expected of her and the decisions she had to make regarding the chapter so I would be ready to make those decisions and have a very small "breaking in" period! so thanks Holly!

Bernice Hunter is another one that has been wonderful over the years, but especially this year. Bernice runs the publications competitions. (She makes great sausage balls, too!) With Bernice as the publications competition manager, there were no worries. I hope, for Howard's sake she does it at least one more year!

Leigh Richardson is another tireless volunteer. I wonder if there is any job in the chapter that she hasn't done? Probably not. And this year is no exception. We needed someone to step up and run for Secretary and, of course, she stepped right up! And all with getting a promotion at work and having to manage quite a few people all over the world! I don't know how she does it!

Some newcomer volunteers that have stepped up this year are Paul Phillips as the CommLink Managing Editor. Our chapter newsletter had been MIA for many months. Paul made the decision to jump in and get it re-started! I know how really difficult it is to run the newsletter! I was Assistant Editor and then Managing Editor for a few years. I know that it is not as easy as it sounds. We are so very lucky to have Paul take over the newsletter. And he is going to do it again next year!

Michelle Schoen is another one that stepped right up after joining STC Atlanta. She was Hospitality Co-chair and now is doing that by herself. And she was elected to the nominating committee.

There are many, many more, but I have to leave for the conference. I will blog more about the wonderful STC Atlanta volunteers later.

No comments: