Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hello to Job Hunting!

I work for EarthLink. Specifically for the EarthLink Municipal Networks business unit.

I think it was in February when our CEO, Garry Betty passed away of cancer. The past few months have been spent by the Board of Directors searching for a replacement. A couple of weeks ago they hired Rolla P. Huff as our new President and CEO. I suppose new CEOs have to show they can generate profit quickly, and one of the quickest ways to generate more profit for a company is to eliminate a few bodies! Decreasing the payroll has an immediate effect on the bottom line. Stockholders of our company will love it.

Anyway, as a technical writer, I am sure I will be one of the first eliminated. EarthLink has a policy of giving generous severance and notices, but nothing really helps or make you feel any better when you are out there looking for a job.

Nothing is set in stone as they say, and my job might not even be eliminated, but I believe the proverbial handwriting is on the wall! The executives are reviewing the positions that we need to operate and still make a profit. At this point, we don't know when a decision will be made. But I am not going to sit back and wait. I am being proactive and am visiting job sites and putting out my resume and trying to get a feel for what kind of jobs are out there. I can't afford to be unemployed for any long length of time.

So, Hello to Job Hunting! If any of you know of available jobs out there, just let me know.

No comments: